Dear Supporter ,
Today's Prop 8 decision marks a monumental moment to celebrate a big leap forward in the fight for equality.
Equality Texas also asks Texans to reflect on our own rights here at home. California laws are VERY different from Texas laws. LGBT Californians overwhelmingly enjoy more protection under the law than LGBT Texans. But YOU can change that by financially supporting Equality Texas' lobbying and advocacy efforts. Texas lawmakers converge in Austin six months from now for the 82nd Session of the Texas Legislature. We need your support to advocate and to lobby for inclusive policies.
Below is a comparison between Texas and California equality laws. We have much work to do here in Texas, and WE NEED YOUR HELP!
• No form of statewide relationship recognition for same-sex couples.
• Allows employers to legally discriminate against LGBT Texans.
• Does not have a safe schools law that explicitly addresses sexual orientation and gender identity.
• Does not permit a same-sex partner to make a medical decision on behalf of his/her incapacitated partner in the absence of an advance directive.
• No clear adoption laws. Courts have used a parent's sexual orientation to deny, restrict or modify custody and visitation.
• Hate crimes law explicitly includes "sexual preference." No provision of Texas law explicitly addresses gender identity.
• Allows same-sex domestic partners to register and to receive essentially all of the rights and benefits of married couples under state law.
• Prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, appearance and behavior in the areas of employment (public and private), housing and public accommodations.
• Protects students from discrimination and hate violence on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation.
• Allows same-sex domestic partners to make decisions on behalf of an incapacitated partner. Domestic partners and their children are specifically granted hospital visitation rights.
• Permits a same-sex couple to jointly petition to adopt.
• Hate crime law covers sexual orientation and gender identity.
YOU can help fight for equality by financially supporting Equality Texas. YOU make equality happen! Please contribute now!
Equality Texas advocates and lobbies for the elimination of discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
Go here to tell your friends about this.
If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for the Equality Texas Action Center.
Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop receiving Equality Texas messages, click here to remove yourself from our lists.